Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Koreshan Lag Issue

Lately Cobalt has been getting a lot of complaints about lag and greyness in my main store in Koreshan.
I don't have these issues, but then my computer is so godly that it exists on another realm of awesome. I realize the average SL user does not have a $5K gaming PC so I'll just pretend you all have macs which run SL like a piece of shit.

Some fun facts about Koreshan:
  • Koreshan is a full sim (15K prims)
  • Koreshan is on the same shitty lowest class servers that are used to host OPEN SIMS. (homesteads are on better servers than Koreshan)
  • Draconic owns Koreshan, it's her and Chica's baby.
  • Upgrading Koreshan to a proper server is more money than Draconic can afford
  • The additional tier fee is also more money than Draconic can afford atm
  • Draconic is way too sweet a person to get on people's asses about paying rent so as far as I know maybe 2-3 people are actually paying her rent right now.
  • We do not use images larger than 512X512 although last time we complained about lag, LL said the proper size to use is 256 X256 which would look like complete shit.
  • I try to turn off scripts everywhere when I can to reduce lag from users coming in

Draconic and Chicanery currently are working a lot IRL. Since it's hard to get hold of them and I really have no control over the sim, bitching out Linden labs is on hold for now.

First thing I'm going to do (maybe in a second or two since I just realized I brought my mac to work and it has SL on it), is I'm going to restart the sim. I don't know when the last time it got restarted was, and sometimes it just needs that to make it stop failing.

Second, I'm going to try to get Draconic to bitch a fit at Linden Labs over preformance. In theory I bet if you bitch a fit enough they might grandfather you into a better server, but it's Linden Labs. They are pretty confident that if you left, someone would just come in and take your place.

So that's the state of Koreshan atm.

The bakesale is scheduled to be this weekend but if the preformance doesn't improve, I might tell Chica we have to postpone it.

6 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Blogger Alyx Sands said...

I can't really complain, but then I bought a $2000 rig back in February, so I wouldn't notice either I think...just don't nag Draconic and Chicanery too much. Don't kick their baby! ;-)

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger Terry Toland said...

I've noticed overall that performance is down. Everything all over the grid has stayed gray for a while, and I do not have a slow running machine. I think people are just searching for someone to blame rather than being patient.

 
At 2:09 AM , Blogger nietje said...

It's not just Koreshan, I've noticed lag issues everywhere. A restart helps for a short while it seems but after that things get slow again....At this moment all we can do is be patient and wait for things to rezz and in the meantime just im with friends and have fun!!!!!! (And get the great stuff the amazing creators make for us, Thank you Noam!)

 
At 2:15 AM , Blogger Kalel Mommsen said...

i haven't has any issue other then the usual certain sims. Koreshan has been around for a long time.

just have to hang in there.. anyone need more friends? im me!

 
At 5:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

/me has a suggestion! Do some sim restarts frequently. That helps improve sim performance.

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger myvegancookbook said...

I hear what you are saying about macs running SL like shit. I was shopping with Jess at GK yesterday, he was on our mac and I was on our main faboo PC and I had no lag at all and he was having all kinds of lag. We left and came back later and it was a little better though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home