Monday, May 11, 2009

New Scripts... coming soon

I got the final complaint about my current texture change scripts*, so now (hopefully this will happen) I am commissioning new texture change scripts for my hair and items.

I have a new hair built and ready to be scripted, so that will be out this weekend. I also might try to make a non scripted hair this week if RL doesn't get all complicated.

I remade my hair textures slightly and all hairs from this point out will be made with them. Same colors though. While redoing every color I have (this means my regular colors and my streak colors that I don't normally sell) I realized that I have enough variations to do 3 packs of hues for Red, Blonde, Brown, Blue, Purple, Pink, Green, Black/white. This is just for the hairs I made with the newer non-tipped textures.

So here is the question, how much bitching do you think I'd get from people if I started selling 3 packs for +$L30 to their original price? That would mean my L$130 hairs would be $L160 and my L$150 would now be L$180, but you'd get three shades of a color. MOST people only buy Black and blonde to be honest, so even thinking that a customer would be like "YAY 3 awesome shades of Blue" who isn't me (I love blue hair right now), is kinda of.. not going to happen. Transaction histories prove this.


The Pros and Cons.

PROS:
  • Save prim space.
  • Save actual vendor space.
  • The textures are already made
  • I think I have all my toaster scripted originals
  • I have to retoast my SRU scripted hairs anyway
  • More colors! Even if I'm the only one who gives a shit!
CONS:
  • Everyone only buys black, Blonde, ash & sometimes Rusty.
  • That's a buttload of hairs to repackage, extremely time consuming.
  • Chances of me fucking up vendors or scripting increased when I have to do it over and over and over.
  • Every nightmare I had toasting past hairs will be repeated.
  • Complaints from people who bought the hair before I did this. (although, I do have Cobalt.)
  • I'll actually be losing $L by grouping.
  • Losing $L makes getting sim eventually more distant.
But.. more colors. *strokes chin*

Any thoughts? How many people out there who have already bought my hair think they will be pissed to rebuy it for more colors?




*Since this last one came from someone who didn't even own the item they were complaining about, that was a great indicator that I need to change my scripts. As much as I hate re-scripting things, I hate being IMed about this stuff more.

20 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger Terry Toland said...

Aww... Well, first off, I want you to know that I FREAKIN' LOVE YOUR HAIR and think it works wonderfully as it does right now. I'm sorry you get so many people with sticks up their butts and the people that really care are too awash in the awesomeness of your product to remember to say thank you. I know that's what happens with me.

My only other thought to throw in would be to use the Xstreetl SL route and put colors up there. Perhaps do the packs in world and then have a button that says 'if you'd like to gift or just get one color, go here'. Yeah, that has it's own can of worms, but, I, too, love colors. I just don't have enough linden to shower on you and other awesome people.

Nor the organization skills. *pokes the 85,000+ Mary Poppins bag*.

Another thought is if you have satellite stores is to put certain colors there, which could potentially utilize the space more. So, you have one or two of the main basics, have one or two of the special color packs, and then an LM-giver with something that says "if you want more basics, come to the main store; if you want other special colors, here are the other sites and what colors they have". The could get cross-traffic. But I'm not a major creator, so I have no idea if that could be beneficial. But it does make the color packs "special" without having to go through that whole exclusive process, and sometimes just making something "special" will make people more likely to buy it.

Pardon if this brain dump doesn't make any sense. ^^;

 
At 12:38 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Hrm. I know SLX is linden owned now but I'm not over what happened in December yet.


But I'll take that into consideration. The only issue is that my hair is already cheap and I don't want to sell individual colors for a 3rd of the $160 or $180.

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Addi said...

I've also never had a problem with your scripts so everything you post about it I go "Eh?!" I would definitely buy your hairs in three packs. I would even re-buy the ones I already own. Just don't fuck with "Rage" cause its my favorite hair color in sl and I might have to hunt you down and kneecap you. Just Sayin'.

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Lol I wouldn't. I really like the colors I have now.

I would sell Rage with Red and Rusty probably.

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger Alyx Sands said...

I'd be the first (and maybe only? ;-))) person to buy a threepack with the red shades-I buy red and rusty already as it is...only sometimes black. But I do love blue. More blue plz. And green.

I somehow get the impression a lot of people would go for multipacks of colours, as it's "better value" or something

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger Noam said...

it'd only be $L30 linden more and you'd get 3 hairs instead of the one you normally get.

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really like your red tone. Actually, it's the only one I buy and wear.
The prices for the package seems cheap even with the +30L$

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger Noam said...

GK isn't an expensive brand. :)

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Kalel Mommsen said...

30L more and 3 colors... i say do it...

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Kaya said...

From a customer point of view, in my opinion, 30L extra for a 3pack sounds absolutely reasonable, especially considering your prices are super comfortable to begin with.

My advice is to think about it and do what you think is best for you, because, unfortunately, some people are going to bitch regardless what you do.

Now, I know nothing about scripting, hair and I can only make pretty wooden boxes (or balls!), but see if this tools helps you. I have heard good things about it. If it has nothing to do with what you are talking about ... the jury will disregard the last comment :P https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=1364752

And keep up the AWESOME work!

 
At 8:10 PM , Blogger Helyanwe said...

I say do the color packs. Ive done it and ive gotten maybe 2 complaints ever. Most people are happy with it in the end. Offers more varity then just a single tone of red, or brown or whatever.

Plus id like it personally xD

So vote of Yay from me.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Ok once I get the script I commissioned I'll start working on texturing the other hairs in the extra colors.

& thanks Kaya, I use Sol Columbia's toaster for retexturing. I've had it for a couple years now and it's awesome. (also a lot cheaper than L$5k) :)

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger myvegancookbook said...

30 extra lindens? Not a problem for me.

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger Verity Goodnight said...

Probably wouldn't re-buy colours I already have, but might get a new colour three pack as three for alllmost the same price as one is easier to justify to my brain. :D

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Shattered said...

If I like the hair, I'll buy the pack with the color I want. (Though my av's hair color does not change from tipped purple *hint hint*.)

I think 3 colors with a slight increase is reasonable, however, I will say I'm one of the people who will not buy packs with 4, 5, more colors in them, and there are places I do not even bother TPing to anymore because of that.

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Is it because of the price or just the inventory spam?

 
At 2:58 AM , Blogger nietje said...

I love your hair and never had any problems with the scripts in it, other then the usual SL problems which can be solved by going to a low lag island. I'ld spend 30L$ more, no problem, I think your hair is cheap for the quality and creativity you provide!
I always wear dark brown hair as a base (color streaks are perfect!) so whenever I get a hair pack with more colors I usualy delete the other ones to keep my invent from overflowing.

 
At 9:25 PM , Blogger Shattered said...

Inventory spam mostly; if my av's hair is purple-tipped black, the pink/red/green/white/blue/other random shade of purple that doesn't match mine at all hair is gonna take up space, never to be rezzed.

However, knowing that I'm not going to wear 80% of the hair in the pack, sometimes the price isn't worth it to me, either.

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Broken Doll said...

Between myself, my alts and gifts for friends, I think I have purchased half of your store's inventory at this point. So putting things into packs, in my opinion, would be awesome. More bang for your buck, right?

But, also considering the "Cons" list, you do still have to do what is in your best interest.

Also I agree with the SLX idea. That way people who do have a problem with the bunching can be re-directed.

And if anyone complains, I'll beat them up for you, LOL.

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Ajahli said...

I would buy them even if i had to rebuy colors I already have~ plus I wouldn't mind paying the extra 30L

IM LATE COMMENTING I know but I mentioned itt o someone and they badgered me to comment and say YES YES MOAR PLZ

plus i will pay anything to have more shades of blue :p

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home