Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Video Advertizing

I got a notecard for video advertising this weekend, where basically someone would take my stuff and make a video and I imagine you host it somewhere.

It's not something I considered because they said they'd use their own models, which when you make a brand, you don't want just anyone wearing your crap. Garrett Kipling and Sioux (the alt) are my new GK models, btw, only sucks cause G has a big head (literally.) Yeah you read it, you big headed bastard.

Second, it's over kill. Everything about it screams overkill. These aren't commercials cleverly placed while you watch TV to grab the attention of a potential buyer, you have to search them out. I think for this medium that successful print ads will always work better.

Now today I saw a forum post that peaked my interest but instead of a picture ad, the creator posted a you-tube link.

I don't know about you guys but I only look at the forums when I'm trying to de-stress myself at work, and my job blocks you-tube. I will never see this ad. I don't care enough to run home and check it out.

Maybe cause I've been working in/ with marketing for over a year, but it seems like a very half baked idea. You want your ads to be accessible. An image is a faster download than a video and videos require browser support.

I'm curious to see how many people do it. I'm not really digging the idea, but I'm pretty stupid about the rest of the population.

*editted for the overuse of "..."

7 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Blogger Nex Brannan said...

I haven't seen it, so I don't know for certain, but I imagine the first part of this statement tell you what you need to know.

If I haven't seen it, my customers prolly haven't either

 
At 4:06 PM , Blogger Noam said...

I can send you the notecard.

It just seems like... not practical.

 
At 5:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i got the same notecard and i trashed it. I might not have been in that kind of job but i think the idea sucks. I got a graphic designer RL firm too offering to remake my brand, which made me think my brand its so bad a real designer wants to help me O.o but i like it so no way im paying for that, even thought on asking you about it tho. And a publicist guy that would study the market for me to see what im lacking and what i could add to improve my store...hah!

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Oh god Kei, dude "real graphic designers" suck like 90% of the time. Your brand is awesome. You have been remaking it slowly over the months with the new logo and clothing lines and you are kicking ass.

No one needs to study the market in SL if they know other designers. Or maybe, just know people who want them to succeed. You just need a group to brainstorm with and you can get all that for free.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Posy Trudeau said...

I saw a forum entry too from home with a u-tube link... clicked on the link... and pretty much saw images that could have done just as well as still shots, and would have been much easier to access if they were just in the forum ad. Way too much trouble, I say.

And Keishii... I'll "second" what Noam says... the branding and graphics you've done for your store are gorgeous and highly professional. I've been a graphic designer and art director RL for years, and your branding ain't broke, trust me. It elegantly and accurately reflects your style and the products you sell, and you do it in a consistent way... that's successful branding.

 
At 3:45 PM , Blogger Nex Brannan said...

Shit.

*puts away bent clotheshanger and blowtorch*

 
At 3:53 PM , Blogger Noam said...

*raises an eyebrow*

How's it going Nex?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home