Tuesday, January 30, 2007

SL Indentity & Theft

Theft
I have this thing were I really don't want to remake stuff I find in SL. This weekend someone accused me of copying my own belt. Yes, my own belt.. they saw a vendor in Roxee, and it was the same belt and I somehow copied it prim for prim, all the textures, the demo and :O! Even the vendor ad!!

I'm always shocked by the new levels of stupid I meet on SL.
That was the first time anyone has ever accused me of ripping someone off, as it should be since I don't rip people off. I will very contently remake in little prims something I see IRL. So no, I'm not always original, but I don't remake someone else's stuff from SL. It's not cool. Other designers deserve the same respect that I wish they would give me.
And that was my subtle plea not to rip me off. I wouldn't screw you over.

It's on my mind because it keeps happening, not just to me but to my friends. SL isn't always about making a buck, it can be about being an artist and making something unique.


Identity & Custom orders
Here is something weird I've encountered though, which involves customs. If you buy a custom anything from someone, isn't it kinda assumed that it's exclusive, unless the designer states that they will sell it? Otherwise it's like you're paying them and giving them good ideas. o_O

I have lotsa custom stuff (skins, tats, animations.) I love them, they make me feel like a special snowflake. I paid or art traded for them. Now because so many people bug me about them, I wonder how strong the constitution of the creators is not to sell them it.

:/ If I have an exclusive, it's done after the block party. If I made a custom item for a customer, it's put into the bank never to see the light of day. But people are really really needy, they throw money at you, they plead and beg...

I would be royally pissed if a designer sold something I commissioned from them. Once the act is done though, it's over. Identity goes poof. No sorries or monetary compensation fixes it, you are stuck with having to rebuild again (and of course black list that person forever!! :O)

But then again.. if someone offered me 2 million dollars for a tasty for the sadist... >_>

I'm just rambling. Sometimes I think that people aren't as noble as I wished they'd be. O_<

11 Comments:

At 12:58 PM , Blogger Helyanwe said...

That was deep.

 
At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh noes :( did more of your custom stuff get put on the market?

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger Noam said...

Hely: Lol is that sarcasm?

Trinitee: I've had like 2 things gets sold that I bought custom. But I was thinking cause last week someone pestered me so much about a skin, and it's someone who offers me a lot of money for my gloves and just won't take no for an answer... I dunno, it made me wonder if I should assume that because I special ordered something that means the designer won't just resell it to make some more $$.

 
At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes i wonder if it's worth having original stuff.. cuz you'd consistently be pestered bout it all. :/ makes being original a pain in the ass.

btw missed you yesterday! hope you had fun with your company.

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Noam said...

I hadn't hung out with my friend for a couple months, so it was cool.

I don't know how much fun I would have been at the party anyway, I don't do skype.

 
At 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

your presence is always fun Noam... with or without Skype.

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Helyanwe said...

i dunno.. it was just deep. xD

Ive had 2 of the really popular skin designers that i had bought customs from, put them up for sale a few months later. Needless to say I was not happy.
I think what bugs me the most tho is when i have something custom made... and i get bugged to death about it. And then a couple weeks later i see someone wearing a rip off copy of it, like they took a picture and rebuilt it (happens alot with my gauntlets)

But anyways... if it makes you feel any better... I wont sell the cheetah skin I made you T.T
Not for a million Lindens... well.. maybe... but i wont take a penny less! xP

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Noam said...

lol, I wouldn't blame yah for a million lindens. hehehe.

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger HeatherFev21 said...

I concur

 
At 7:22 AM , Blogger Nex Brannan said...

I've done very very little custom content, but what I have done hasn't been sold.

That's the difference between a custom (1 of a kind and expensive) and a suggestion for a new product.

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i have done a lot of customes but i talk with the person before and according with what they want to pay we go by...one girl asked me for a dress and she only asked me to not sell the color i made for her but i could sell in other colors, i havent even put it up in any other color. Another one was special done and its gone from my computer and my inventory in SL, it was one of a kind thing and it will remind like that. I havent asked for customes, sometimes i dont dare to go pester others tho...but if i do i would hope the designer will respect what we accorded.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home